Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Nursing: Advanced Practice Nursing (MSc)
The aims of the Master of Science in Nursing (Advanced Nursing Practice) programme are toenable experienced registered nurses to develop an expert knowledge base, complex decision-making skills, and clinical competencies for an expanded autonomous scope of practice the characteristics of which are shaped by the: context in which the individual practices; the needs of patients/clients; and the challenges and developments within the health services.
The programme is designed to prepare the students as autonomous practitioners, who are clinically competent and skilled in the delivery of high quality direct care to a specific patient /client group. In particular, the Advanced Nurse Practitioner will be empowered to promote wellness, offer healthcare interventions and advocate healthy lifestyle choices for patients/clients, their families and carers in a wide variety of settings in collaboration with other healthcare professionals, according to agreed scope of practice guidelines.
The programme further aims to support the students to develop their role as autonomous members of the multidisciplinary healthcare team within the healthcare organisation and professional leaders in their field of specialist practice. The graduates, equipped with such knowledge and advanced skills will be eligible to apply to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) for registration as a Registered Advanced Nurse Practitioner (RANP).
Master of Science in Nursing (Advanced Nursing Practice), applicants are required to:
- Have a minimum of an honours primary degree in Nursing or equivalent.
- Hold a current active registration on a division of the professional register maintained by Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Provide evidence of support from an employer and completed Site Declaration Forms, signed by the Director of Nursing/Public Health/ authorised Nurse Manager containing confirmation of a clinical supervisor who will provide supervision, support and learning opportunities, including opportunities to practice under supervision to gain the required competencies and clinical competence to practice at an advanced level in nursing.
- Applicants must comply with current minimum entry requirements for admission to the programme of education for nurse/midwife prescribing
- Applicants must have three years' recent post-registration clinical experience in nursing/midwifery (this must be within the past five years) with the equivalent of 'one year'' full time experience in the specific area of clinical practice.
- Applicants must provide nomination and confirmation of a clinical supervisor (completed Site Self-Declaration Forms, signed by the clinical supervisor) who will provide the student with supervision, support and opportunities including shadowing opportunities to gain the required competencies for nurse prescribing in his/her practice area/organisation.
2 years, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
To be advised.
Mode of study
Why Choose This Course?
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
Find out More
T: +353 91 492 829